Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Events - repeated or is once enough?
MEL Offline

Events - repeated or is once enough?
For the example where someone is recorded as "Catholic" on many different documents, do you create a different Religion/Catholic Event each time, or do you just set up one with the date being (for example) "03 Aug 1875-10 Dec 1912" and source it with each document recording Catholic? This can be the same for someone who lived in the same Residence for 60 years. Do you show 150 Events with the same address or do you do that same as above?

Thanks

I wouldn't. I would just have one Event called "Religion" with the type in the description box, the date as per the document and the place similarly. The Source would, of course, be the document, or whatever.

I would have the event only once but source each document where it was found.

Sincerely,

Strictly speaking you should only enter a "from - to" date range when you know the Event/Fact covered the whole of that range. Just because I see you in red shoes on Monday and in red shoes on Saturday, it doesn't mean you wore them all week!

Yes, it's probably quite unlikely that someone switched their religion back and forth several times. It's rather less unlikely that they might have lived at one address for a period of years, moved away and later gone back to that address.

I think in the case of Religion I would have one Event/Fact and cite all the Sources but I would not actually use the Date field. In the case of Residence, I would probably use separate Events/Facts, one for each known date to record the facts, but if I was writing a book or creating a narrative report I would edit the Legacy output to say something like "he probably lived at ... from X to Y as he was known to be there on several different dates within that period."

MEL
Legacy version 7.5.0.207
Windows 7 Pro w/current updates
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 06:27 AM by MEL.)
03-12-2013 06:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Events - repeated or is once enough? - MEL - 03-12-2013 06:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Legacy Users BB | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication